Can I use my post-dated passport?

If you are a UK citizen and have a post-dated passport that won’t be valid until a certain date, you will not be able to apply for ESTA, as you need to apply using a passport that is valid at the time the application is submitted. Since a post-dated passport is only valid from the date of your divorce, gender change, marriage, or civil partnership ceremony, you will not be able to use it to apply until that day.
It would be best to check the validity of your passport before you apply for ESTA and well before the day you travel to make sure that everything is okay. It’s always recommended that you travel with a passport that is valid for at least 6 months from the date of your travel.
It is possible to get a third party to apply for you if you do not have time between the ceremony or other finalisation that will render the document valid and your journey to the airport. The application procedure is usually completed in a few minutes, but it’s recommended that you leave more time.
If you’re not a UK citizen but you are a citizen of a country under the Visa Waiver programme, you will need to apply for ESTA again if you have a new passport or if you’ve changed your name since your original application. If you do not have a new passport but have changed your name or gender, you can still use your old passport to travel but using your new full name or gender. You may also travel with a ticket issued in your new name/gender and the passport under your old name/gender All you need to do is to make sure that you have all the necessary documents with you to prove your identity at border control. These include documents such as:
  • A copy of your marriage licence
  • Divorce decree
  • Document showing a legal change in name/gender or
  • Any other legal document linking your new name and/or gender to the one on the passport.