Do I need ESTA to visit the USA? -

Do I need ESTA to visit the USA?

In this article

I am a citizen of a VWP country and am visiting the U.S.

If you are a citizen of one of the VWP countries and you are travelling to the USA by air or sea using your VWP country passport, you must apply for ESTA, which has been mandatory since 2009. This includes if you are visiting the United States for business, pleasure, or in transit (in this latter case, write "In Transit" in lieu of your address on the application).
On the other hand, if you hold a VWP country passport and are coming to the USA by land, you do not have to apply for ESTA, however, you should return your green I-94W card upon departure. If you are arriving by land and departing by air, you should return your green I-94W card to the airline representative prior to boarding your flight.
If your application for ESTA is approved, then you can stay in the U.S. for up to 90 days at a time. If your stay is intended to be longer, then you will have to apply for a visa. An authorisation under ESTA remains valid for 2 years, or until your passport expires, whichever is sooner and allows for multiple trips under the same authorisation.
It must be noted that an approved travel authorisation under ESTA does not legally qualify to serve in lieu of a United States visa when such is required under U.S. law.

Criminal records

If you have a criminal record related to damage of property, narcotics or harm to individuals or government entities then you cannot apply for an ESTA, and will need to opt for applying for a travel visa. Your current and previous actions will be assessed, and a visa will be granted at the discretion of the embassy.

I am not a citizen of a VWP country

If you are not a citizen of a VWP country, you are required to have a visa, and therefore ESTA does not apply to you.

I am a Canadian citizen

If you are a Canadian citizen and are travelling with a Canadian passport, you do not need to apply for ESTA.
I am a citizen of a Visa Waiver Program country but am a resident of the USA
If you are a lawful resident of the United States and a citizen of one of the 38 Visa Waiver Program countries, you do not need to apply for ESTA.
I have dual citizenship with a VWP country and a non-VWP country
For persons with dual citizenship of a VWP country and a non-VWP country, it is possible to fly under ESTA, but only if you utilise a VWP country passport. Otherwise, you will need a visa.
I am a U.S. citizen with dual citizenship in a VWP country
U.S. citizens do not require an ESTA, and must use their U.S. passport to travel to the USA.
I am a citizen of a VWP country but am going to one of thefollowing specific locations:
The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) or Guam:
For international travel under the VWP, ESTA is required. However, nationalities eligible for Guam/CNMI VWP can travel without ESTA. Please be aware that under this specific VWP, the maximum stay is 45 days, and travel must be entirely within those islands and not the United States.
Travel from the U.S. to Guam/CNMI is considered a domestic flight, so ESTA is not required. Persons travelling from Guam/CNMI to the U.S. go through pre-inspection. If that travel is under VWP, ESTA is required.
Short-term business or tourism to Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands:
ESTA is required for travel to these locations for citizens of VWP countries.

Written by Abisola Fikayomi

Abisola is an accomplished writer interested in US Travel, immigration, passports and visas. She’s passionate about exploring new places and cultures and willing to share her experiences, expertize and findings with others. That is her primary drive for specialising in this industry.

Related FAQs

How long does it take to obtain an ESTA?

An ESTA is the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation that enables visitors from ountries within the Visa Waiver Program to enter the US. Before planning any trip to the US, travellers must obtain some form of visa to get permission to enter the US border.

Read More..

Why was my ESTA application denied?

There could be a number of reasons why your ESTA application was denied. Here are some of the more common reasons why your application might have been given a "Travel Not Authorised" response...

Read More..

Why isn’t my ESTA valid for 2 years?

If you have obtained your ESTA authorisation, but your passport is due to expire before the end of the 2-year validity period, then your ESTA will expire automatically with the expiration of your passport.

Read More..