Why isn’t my ESTA valid for 2 years?

If you have obtained your ESTA authorisation, but your passport is due to expire before the end of the 2-year validity period, then your ESTA will expire automatically with the expiration of your passport. So, once you get your new passport, you will need to apply for your new ESTA, and repay the fee. If you gave your email address when you applied for ESTA, you will receive a notice when your ESTA is going to expire, which will advise you to go to reapply.
Another possible reason why your ESTA might expire before the 2 years are up is because you overstayed your 90-day period limit that is permitted under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) on a trip to the U.S. Even though the travel authorisation is valid for 2 years, you cannot stay in the U.S. for more than 90 days at a time. If you overstay, even if it is just for a couple of days, then you will no longer be able to travel using the VWP. It will also be more difficult to visit the U.S. again using the B2 visa, as an individual who overstays their visa is seen to be more of an ‘unlawful’ person than one who stays within the allocated time frame.
If you overstay your visa for a significant amount of time you may be barred from entering the U.S. completely, for a period of either 3 or 10 years, depending on the length of time that you have overstayed the original 90 days. Another reason your ESTA may no longer be valid is if you have visited the U.S. under the ESTA authorisation and carried out activities that are not permitted by the authorisation, such as getting a job as ESTA does not cover being employed in the U.S.

Related FAQs

When must I submit a new ESTA application?

You can submit a new ESTA application any time you like, even if you currently have an active ESTA authorisation. There are also some circumstances when you will have to submit a new one. Here are a couple of reasons why you would need to submit a new one:

Read More..

Do I need ESTA to visit the USA?

If you are a citizen of one of the VWP countries and you are travelling to the USA by air or sea using your VWP country passport, you must apply for ESTA, which has been mandatory since 2009. This includes if you are visiting the United States for business, pleasure, or in transit

Read More..

Do I need to apply for ESTA if I have a stop-over in the United States?

Yes, even if your final destination is not the United States and you’re stopping at an airport in the U.S. for just an hour or two, you will still need to get an ESTA authorisation. You may not even be able to board your flight if you do not have a valid ESTA, as your airline will request this before your departure.

Read More..