R Type Visa for the USA - ESTAForm.org

R Type Visa

In this article

If a foreign national is travelling to the US on a temporary basis as a religious worker e.g. working as a minister (or other religious vocation) then they require a R-1 visa to provide the relevant permission to enter the US for those purposes.

Requirements for a R-1 visa

The requirements include that the person must entering the US to be employed as a minister (or alternative religious vocation) for a minimum of 20 hours per week on average. They can only work for non-profit organizations in the US (and be able to provide the relevant evidence to show this). The applicant of a R-1 visa must be visiting the US with the sole purpose of performing their religious occupation.
To be eligible for a R Type visa, the applicant must have been a member of a religious denomination having a bona fide non-profit, tax-exempt religious organization in the United States for at least 2 years immediately preceding the time of application.
It is often difficult to have the R-1 visa approved without providing extensive information and evidence of the qualifications, role and responsibilities etc. The USCIS will send a Request for Evidence (RFE) if they are not satisfied with the information that is initially provided to them. It is important that a response to a RFE is provided within adequate time, or it will affect the approval of the petition and be declined if left too long.

Applying for R-1 visa

As part of the application process, the applicant will be required to provide proof of religious qualification, as well as proof of the religious organization’s tax-exempt status. The first step of applying for the R-1 visa is for the employer to complete the Form I-129, Petition for Non-immigrant Worker. The USCIS will review the application to determine whether the petitioning organization and the beneficiary have met their eligibility requirements.
The R-1 visa will allow permission for a stay in the US for up to 30 months although extensions can be applied for, following the 30 month period.

Dependents of R-1 visa holders

The spouse and any children (aged under 21) of a R-1 visa holder may apply for the R-2 visa which allows study in the US but does not allow the holder to seek employment in the US.
If the R-2 applicant is looking to gain employment in the US then they will require an appropriate working visa that provides permission to work in the US. When the R-1 visa holder’svisa expires, the R-2 visa is also no longer valid and the holder must leave the US.

Written by Abisola Fikayomi

Abisola is an accomplished writer interested in US Travel, immigration, passports and visas. She’s passionate about exploring new places and cultures and willing to share her experiences, expertize and findings with others. That is her primary drive for specialising in this industry.

Other Visas

B-2 for pleasure or for medical treatment

The B-2 visa enables tourists to enter the US, where an ESTA is not applicable either because the applicant is not from one the Visa Waiver Program countries, or because their intended trip is for longer than the duration limit of the ESTA (90 days). The B2 visa is often referred to as the tourist visa USA and can also be used for travellers that are going to the US to receive medical treatment.

Read More..

E2 Visa (Investors and Employees)

The E2 visa is available for application from non-immigrants to enter the US when they are investing a substantial amount of money in a US business. Employees for the investment company may also be allowed to have an E2 visa to assist with the investment process e.g. advising on the investment.

Read More..

H1-B for Speciality Occupation

Graduate level workers wanting to work in the US are able to apply for a H1-B visa for speciality occupations. This enables US companies to employ foreign skilled workers for in-demand jobs such as in IT, medicine, finance, engineering and numerous other speciality occupations that are highly valued in the US. H1-B visas are valid for three years, with extensions possible, providing that the terms are still valid, i.e. you are still working in the role.

Read More..