US Citizenship Through Parenting –

Passing U.S. Citizenship to Children

In this article

Couples living in the U.S. will not have an issue with their child being a U.S. citizen, provided they are born in the country. However, parents who gave birth to their child outside of the U.S. will need to look for means of passing their U.S. citizenship.
In this case, the child cannot automatically claim the parents' citizenship. Even when the child does claim the parents' citizenship, the regulatory bodies will need a birth certificate as proof. Hence, you do not need to wait long before conferring your child's rights to be a U.S. citizen. Nevertheless, it is impossible not to acquire parents' citizenship. Read this article or visit US immigration further to discover the information you may need.

Becoming a U.S. Citizen by Birth

This is the easiest way of becoming a U.S. citizen. The parents' nationality does not matter, as long as the child was born in the U.S. This citizenship is a birthright, while the child can show proof with the birth certificate. Children who could not get their birth certificate from their parents can obtain it at the Vital Record Office. Having the certificate provides easy access to apply for an American passport. The American passport also makes it easy for a child to enter the country multiple times.

What Happens to a Child Not Born in the U.S.?

What is the solution if the parents are U.S. citizens, but the child was not born there? You should make sure to notify the nearest U.S. embassy about this development. You may not get a birth certificate, but the embassy will give you a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). The child can still use the CRBA to obtain an American passport. If the child was born in any U.S. territory, you might request a birth certificate instead of the CRBA. These territories include the U.S. Virgin Island, American Samoa, and Puerto Rico.

How to Apply for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad

The first friend you can make inquiries from is the internet. You will identify the documents, requirements, and the necessary fee to prepare. You need to fill out the CRBA form application available online. Make sure you do not sign the form until you submit it. You should meet the following requirements to grant you eligibility for the CRBA.

  • At least a parent should have a U.S. citizen. If the other party is not a U.S. citizen,the parent will need to present an affidavit.
  • Both adoptive and legal parents need to form an understanding relationship with the child.
  • The parents must be physically available to present the request. The parents may be excusedfrom being present simultaneously based on certain circumstances—for instance, divorced parents.
  • The child must be subject to the U.S. rights of children.

The physical application will take place at the U.S. embassy or its consulate. Make sure you have filled out the form correctly before going to the embassy. The parents need to state if their marriage remains intact or terminated. If you miss your interview at the embassy, you will have to book another appointment.

Exceptions to the Rules

Parents of the same gender who adopted a child abroad or through Assisted Reproductive Technology can also apply for the CBRA. However, if you have a child from the surrogate, egg/sperm donation, or in-vitro fertilization, you will need to establish a relationship with the child.

Adults Born Outside of U.S., Becoming a Citizen

If your parents had given birth to you a long time ago, and they are U.S. citizens, you can also claim your right. Once you are eighteen years, you can request the Certificate of Citizenship. However, you will need to present proof of at least one of your parents' citizenships. You can check for the application form online, tagged as N-600. Just as the birth certificate, you can also use the Certificate of Citizenship to get an American passport.

There are also adult cases that will likely apply after any of their parents become a US citizen. Even after you have turned eighteen, you can still apply, but make sure to meet the requirements. Confirm that you meet the US citizenship requirements, then fill out the N-400 form online to apply for permanent residency. Your parents can also file a petition on your behalf using the I-130 form. However, they must be U.S. citizens themselves.

Naturalization of Parents

Parents' naturalization also gives a child the opportunity to apply for U.S. citizenship, provided they live together. Fortunately, you would not need to be a part of the naturalization ceremony, even though you obtain your citizenship through the process. However, it would help to consider the law that backs up U.S. citizenship when your parents had their neutralization. The law will influence some of the documents required to process your application.

Written by Abisola Fikayomi

Abisola is an accomplished writer interested in US Travel, immigration, passports and visas. She’s passionate about exploring new places and cultures and willing to share her experiences, expertize and findings with others. That is her primary drive for specialising in this industry.


How Hard Is It To Get US Citizenship?

Getting US citizenship is not quick and it is not easy. Not everybody is eligible to apply for US citizenship and it can be a very long process to get US citizenship, regardless of how you qualify.

Read More..


Retiring to USA from UK

Many UK citizens have dreams to retire in another country, some choosing to retire to warmer areas of Europe and others want to retire further away, such as in the US.

Read More..