Can I extend my ESTA while in the U.S.? -

Can I extend my ESTA while in the U.S.?

In this article

When you are travelling to the US on an ESTA and it is due to expire, the ESTA can be renewed, not extended. There is no option for an ESTA visa extension.
So, if your plans change and you need to stay in the US for longer than you had intended, you are able to apply for a new ESTA, the same way that you applied for your existing one. As long as your passport is still valid, you are able to complete the online ESTA form to get a new ESTA that will last two years, or until your passport expires.

Restrictions on your stay in the US

Whilst you are able to get a new ESTA when you are in the US, this does not mean that you are able to stay in the US for a period longer than 90 days. The criteria of an ESTA is that you do not stay in the US for a period of any more than 90 days, which applies even if you take out a new ESTA. Breaching the rules of an ESTA by overstaying the time limit is likely to lead to you being denied an ESTA in the future.

What to do if you need to stay for longer than 90 days in the US?

The only way you should stay for more than 90 days in the US (if you are a non-US citizen) is by obtaining a visa that provides authority for you to stay for the period you are visiting for. The most common type of visa is the tourist visa, unless you are planning on working or studying in the US, in which case you would need to apply for the relevant employment visa or a student visa. You can apply for a visa using the DS-160 form.

How to renew your ESTA?

Renewing your ESTA is very quick and straightforward, you simply need to fill in the online ESTA form with all of your personal details and passport details. Citizens of countries that are part of the Visa Waiver Program benefit from the easy application process of applying for ESTA, compared to the longer process of applying for a visa.
The other great thing about an ESTA application is that it is usually processed very quickly, in some cases taking only minutes to be accepted. This means that you can quickly renew your ESTA without needing to visit the US Embassy or fill in lots of lengthy paperwork.
Before you travel to the US you can check up the expiry for your ESTA if you are uncertain when it is due to expire. You can check the status of your ESTA by logging onto the ESTA website to see the expiry date. You should also make sure that your passport is not due to expire, most travelers are required to have at least six months left on their passport if they are staying in the US.

Written by Abisola Fikayomi

Abisola is an accomplished writer interested in US Travel, immigration, passports and visas. She’s passionate about exploring new places and cultures and willing to share her experiences, expertize and findings with others. That is her primary drive for specialising in this industry.

Related FAQs

How Long Does an ESTA Application Take?

One of the key benefits of applying for an ESTA instead of applying for a US visa is that the processing time is much faster. The whole process is completed online, which means that the administration elements are much quicker. Generally, an ESTA application will take less than 72 hours to get processed but in many cases, it is much quicker than this, even taking a few minutes in some applications.

Read More..

Can ESTA be extended?

It is not possible to extend your ESTA but you are able to renew your ESTA. To renew your ESTA, you must submit a new application, in the same way, that you submitted your previous one.

Read More..

Will strikes and delays affect my ESTA application?

If airlines go on strike and your flight is cancelled, this shouldn’t affect your ESTA application. Once your ESTA is approved it remains valid for 2 years or until your passport expires, this depends on which one comes first.

Read More..