How much money do I need to enter USA?

When you visit the US on certain types of visa, you may be asked to provide financial proof that you will be able to afford living expenses during your stay and the cost of your return journey. If you are applying for a student visa, you will need to show that you have the financial means to pay study fees for your full course, as well as your living expenses and accommodation. You will be asked to provide copies of bank statements as evidence of your financial resources.

Anyone that is traveling to the US for medical treatment must also be able to show that they can afford the treatment. If you are applying for B-2 tourist visa to get medical treatment in the US, you will also be required to show that the treatment cannot be performed in your home country.

If you are intending to travel around the US, you should make sure that you have enough money to pay for your transport and accommodation throughout the time that you intend to stay.

Are there any limitations on how much money I take into the US?

There are ng no limitations to taking money to the US, as long as you report it in the correct way. If you are entering the US, or leaving the US to any place outside of the US, you must report money over a value of $10,000.

If you are planning on taking more than $10,000 in currency into the US (or foreign equivalent value), then you must report it to customs. If you are travelling with another person, if your total money being carried into the US between you is over $10,000 then you will still need to report it to customs, filling in a joint declaration.

Other monetary forms such as a Traveller's check, money order or personal and business checks ready for deposit will also require to be reported. Credit cards with limits of more than $10,000 are not required to be reported.

How to report your money if you are taking more than $10,000

If you are taking currency or other monetary instruments valued at $10,000 or over, you will need to complete a form FinCEN 105, which is the Report of International Transportation of Currency or Monetary Instruments. You can download the form from the Customs and Border website and complete it before you arrive at the border control. Alternatively, you can fill it in when you arrive at CBP and if necessary, a CBP officer will be able to assist you.

The form asks for information such as your name, address, passport no. and details regarding the money i.e. how much there is in currency and coins.

How to report your money if you are taking more than $10,000

If you do not report that you are taking the money into the US, then you are at risk of having the money confiscated and getting fined for not reporting it.


Planning a Family Holiday to US With Group ESTAs

As a family, we wanted to go away to celebrate my parents’ retirement, with a large group of us all going away to mark the occasion. This included three generations of family aged from seven years old through to 65.

Read More..


My Travel Diary: Travelling Around the US Using ESTA

Not long after finishing my university studies, I decided I wanted to travel somewhere exciting with a range of different experiences. I had three weeks to plan my travels into, as I would soon be starting my first full-time job. I looked at a number of travel options, including Australia but with really long flight times and the more expensive flight tickets that came with that, my budget wouldn’t stretch that far.

Read More..